Our History

When Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union (MVFCU) was originally chartered on December 7, 1948, there were 20 members that pooled a combined share balance of $395.00.

Credit unions believe in “people helping people”, which is why this hometown credit union was established by farming residents from the local community. 

Growth was slow at first and all work was done by volunteers. Through the perseverance and vision of many MVFCU pioneers, the credit union has grown and thrived. Thanks to the volunteers, staff and members, MVFCU has seen many improvements and member benefits added over the years. We look forward to many more years of serving our community!

Original Charter Members

"... membership shall be as set forth in the attached bylaws and any amendments thereto or thereof approved pursuant to Section 8 of the Federal Credit Union Act.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF we have hereunto subscribed our names this 7th day of December, 1948."

  • Carl R. Rasmussen
  • M.D. Snodgrass
  • Charles Scheefer
  • Oscar Keatliche
  • Simon J. Newcomb
  • James Berry
  • Thomas Lepak
  • James W. Wilson

Timeline of Events

 

1948

December 7, the credit union signed their original charter in Palmer

1954

Savings cap of $500 was lifted

1971

First full time manager was hired

Matanuska Susitna School FCU merger

1975

The accounts for minor children were approved, and as a family we continued moving forward.

1972

Reached $1 million in assets

1976

Willow Community Office opened

1978

Wasilla Community Office opened

Began offering share draft accounts

1982

Charter field of membership expanded to include MEA service area

1983

Beginning of Alaska Option Automated Teller Machine services

1984

First Annual AVIS Sale

1989

Easy Access by Phone implemented

1993

Plan America Center opened (currently Matanuska Valley Financial Services)

1995

Conversion to Symitar Systems, Inc

1996

Began offering VISA CheckCards

Easy Access PC implemented

Web site established

1997

Eagle River Community Office opened

1998

Reached $100 million in assets

Big Lake Community Office opened

Mortgage Service Department was established

2002

Joined the Shared Branching Network

Seward Meridian Community Office opened

2003

Began offering commercial and construction loans

New Willow Community Office location

2005

Sunshine Community Office opened

Began offering VISA Credit Cards

2008

Meadow Lakes Community Office opened

2009

Exceeded $300 million in assets

2011

Palmer Carrs Community Retail Office opened

Knik-Goose Bay Community Retail Office opened

First "Get Real" Financial Reality Fair: teaching financial literacy to high-school-aged children

First Annual Adventure Sale

2012

Acquired Kunia Federal Credit Union/Waipahu, Hawaii Community Office opened

2013

MVmobile app launched

December 7: MVFCU's 65th Birthday

Launched this new website incorporating our previous credit union, commercial lending, and home mortgage websites into one functional site

2014

MV Member Express online newsletter launched

First Annual SNOWSOON Event

2015

MV Member Express online newsletter launched

Christmas Club introduced

2016

Mandy Tanner selected as Manager of Community Offices

Contact Center, Information Services and E-Commerce moved to 501 Main

Credit Union Direct Lending program launched

Live ATMs installed at Palmer, Seward Meridian and Wasilla Community Offices

2017

Doug Johnson selected as Chief Credit Officer

Health Savings Accounts offered to members

2018

Ed Gravley became new Chief Executive Officer

Angela Hobbie selected as Chief Human Resources Officer

Bill Khoe selected as Chief Operations Officer

Tia Burgess selected as Chief Financial Officer

Secure Credit Card Introduced

Live ATM installed at Big Lake Community Office

2019

Linda Moneymaker selected as Chief Member Experience Officer